Alpine landscapes are fascinating. Expansive glaciers, saw-tooth ridges, steep flanks. Exploring this primal landscape is such a rewarding way to get away from everyday life and stand on top of a mountain. Our guides offer you a safe and competent introduction to mountain climbing.
The Glärnisch massif comprises three peaks: the Bächistock (2914 m), Ruchen (2901 m) and Vrenelisgärtli (2903 m). You can even see the Vrenelisgärtli from Zurich. You’re sure to love this fantastic alpine tour.
Experience of mountain alpine tours required. Terrain: Moderately steep with short steeper rock, ice and firn secitons. Alpine technique: Beginner/basic course or similar basic knowledge.
Duration from 5 to 7 hours, up to approx. 1,200 vertical meters, approx. 300 vertical meters per hour.
3-5 participants per mountain guide
1.25 p.m. Hinter Klöntal, Postbus station Plätz. Then continue by taxi to Chäseren (bus arrival 1.23 p.m. Klöntal, Platz)
Approx. 3 p.m. at point of departure
Basecamp Glärnischhütte SAC 1990 m
Infrastructure: Due to reconstruction the hut will be closed for the whole season 2023. The Glärnischhütte will operate a base camp in 2023.
The offer is held in German. Therefore, a basic understanding of German is important. Our mountain guides have a basic knowledge of English and can provide the necessary information in English. Often there are helpful guests on the tours and courses who are happy to help with the translation.
- Guiding and supervision by a mountain guide
- Accommodation with half board: 1 x basecamp
- 15% discount on mammut.com
- Rental equipment (climbing harness CHF 18, ice axe CHF 20, crampons CHF 18, helmet CHF 18)
- Travel to the course
- Transport approx. CHF 30.-
- Snacks and drinks
- Hut tax CHF 12.- per night if not a SAC/Alpine Club member
- Contribution to the Travel Guarantee Fund (0.25% on total amount)
Day 1The participants arrive, are greeted and briefed by the guide and collect their rental gear. Group shuttle to Chäseren Alp, where you’ll have some time for a bite to eat at the mountain restaurant. With views of the Bös Fulen, Bächistock and Ruchen, we then head up to the Glärnisch Hut (1990 m). The area around the hut is a perfect place to learn some new skills. The day finishes off with an aperitif and group dinner. (Distance: 3 km, walking time: 3.5 hrs, ascent/descent: 750/0 m gain/loss).
Day 2Starting out from the hut, we’ll follow the trail up to the Glärnisch Glacier. Next, you’ll conquer a steep section at the Schwander ridge and then descend to the Vrenelisgärtlis firn. Then pass along the connecting ridge leading up to the main summit. Enjoy your triumph and the magnificent 360-degree view. Once we arrive back down at the hut via the same route, we will stop for another rest before continuing the final trek back down into the valley. (Distance: 11 km, walking time: approx. 6 hrs, ascent/descent: 1000/1800 m gain/loss).
Our mountain guide will bring the ordered rental equipment to the meeting place. The following equipment can be rented:
Please note that the backpack with the equipment does not weigh more than 8 to 10 kg (crampons, ice axe, harness weigh about 1.5 kg).
- Climbing harness with 1x safelock carabiner
- Ice axe
- Crampons with ABS
- Anseilgurt mit 1x Safelock Karabiner (oder 2x Schraubkarabiner)
- Steigeisen mit Antistoll (an Schuhgrösse angepasst)
- Helmet (recommanded)
- Rucksack ca. 30l evtl. mit Regenschutz
- Gamaschen (optional)
- Teleskopstöcke (optional)
- 1x Hardshell-Jacke und 1x Hose (wind- und wasserdicht)
- 1x Hochtouren- oder Trekkinghose
- 1x Soft Shell und/oder Fleecejacke
- 1x Daunenjacke
- 1x Funktionelle Unterwäsche kurz/lang
- 1x Mütze/Stirnband und 1x Cap/Hut
- 2x Handschuhe (1x dünn; 1x warm, wind- und wasserdicht)
- 1x Funktionssocken und 1x Ersatzsocken
- Bergschuhe (mind. knöchelhoch, stabile Sohle)
- Own toiletries, ear plugs if required
- Clothes to wear in the hut (Minimum)
- Slipper socks are at the hut
- Sleeping bag liner made of silk or cotton (for hygienic reasons)
- SAC/Alpine Club member card (if available)
- Breakfast and dinner at the hut
- Tea an lunch must be brought or can be bought at the hut
- Snacks (e.g. energy bars, dried fruit, dried meat)
- Sun cream and lip cream (SPF 30 or higher)
- Camera (optional)
- Half fare travelcard (if existing)
- Thermos flask made from break-proof material
- Headlamp with new batteries
- Small medicinal supplies for personal requirements
Our team is available by phone from Monday to Friday from 09.00 to 12.00 and from 14.00 to 17.00.