Mountains are fascinating. Wide glaciers, jagged ridges, steep rock faces! It's all the more wonderful when you can explore this ancient landscape by yourself and stand on a summit far from everyday life. Our mountain guides will provide a safe and competent introduction to mountain climbing.
- On this training tour, you’ll be able to enjoy your first alpine tour safely under the careful supervision of our mountain guides. The following content will be delivered:
- Using crampons and safety equipment
- Handling an ice axe
- Using a rope
- Preparing for a tour
- Any information relevant to equipment
After the course, you will be able to take part in simple alpine tours led by a mountain guide, e.g. Sustenhorn and Vorder Tierberg, Vrenelisgärtli, Wildstrubel
Sure-footedness and experience of mountain hiking required; Terrain: moderately steep, rock and ice; no prior knowledge of alpine technique required
Duration from 2 to 6 hours, up to approx. 1000 vertical meters, approx. 250 vertical meters per hour.
3-6 participants per mountain guide
11:00 a.m. Interlaken Ost (Train arrival at 10:58 a.m., onward journey at 11:35 a.m.
Approx. 3:00 p.m. at Jungfraujoch
The offer is held in German. Therefore, a basic understanding of German is important. Our mountain guides have a basic knowledge of English and can provide the necessary information in English.
Find out more about the right equipment here.
For this tour you will need mountain boots or hiking boots with a firm sole.
We recommend that you take out cancellation and repatriation insurance, e.g. with ERV.
- Guiding and supervision by a mountain guide
- Accommodation with half board: 1 x hut (base camp)
- Rental equipment
- 15% discount on mammut.com
- Travel to the course
- Transport (mountain rail approx. CHF 50 with Half Fare Travelcard)
- Snacks and drinks
- A CHF CHF 12.- per night (approx.) hut tax for non-SAC members
- Contribution to the Travel Guarantee Fund (0.25% on total amount)
Day 1 Individual arrival at the meeting point. Welcome and orientation about the upcoming weekend by the mountain guide. Train/cable car ride to the Jungfraujoch and ascent to the Mönchsjochhütte. On the way, you will be taught the contents of the training and the material. Afterwards, enjoy a delicious hut dinner and a cosy get-together. (Distance: 2 km. Duration: approx. 1 hours. Ascent/Descent: 200/0 vertical meters)
Day 2 With light backpacks we climb at sunrise over the Ewigschneefeld, framed by Trugberg, Mönch and the Fiescherhorn to an altitude of 3400 metres from where the route climbs again and leads us over the glaciated south flank to the summit. We are rewarded with a deep view of Grindelwald and the Eiger south face, which is demarcated by the well-known Mittellegi Ridge. The way back takes us past our starting point at the Mönchsjochhütte, where we pack up the equipment we left behind. From there the final descent to the Jungfraujoch is a stone's throw. Individual journey home. (Distance: 8 km. Duration: 5-6 hours. Ascent/Descent: 540/700 vertical meters)
Our mountain guide will bring the ordered rental equipment to the meeting place. The following equipment can be rented:
Please note that the backpack with the equipment does not weigh more than 8 to 10 kg (crampons, ice axe, harness weigh about 1.5 kg).
- Climbing harness with 1x safelock carabiner
- Ice axe
- Crampons with ABS
- Climbing harness with 2 screwgate Carabinners and 1 Prusik
- Ice axe
- Crampons with ABS
- Backpack approx. 30l with rain cover
- Gaiter (optional)
- 1x Hardshell jacket and pants (wind- and waterproof)
- 1x Mountaineering or trekking pants
- 1x Soft shell and/or fleece jacket
- 1x Down jacket
- 1x Short/long functional underwear
- 1x Cap/headband and 1x hat
- 2 pairs of gloves (1 thin pair, 1 warm, windproof and waterproof pair)
- 1x Functional socks and 1x spare socks
- Mountaineering shoes (at least ankle-deep, hard sole)
- Own toiletries, ear plugs if required
- clothes to wear in the hut (Minimum)
- slipper socks are at the hut
- Sleeping bag liner made of silk or cotton (for hygienic reasons)
- Pillow (60x60)
- SAC/Alpine Club member card (if avalaible)
- Breakfast and dinner at the hut
- Tea an lunch must be brought or can be bought at the hut
- Snacks (e.g. energy bars, dried fruit, dried meat)
- Sun cream and lip cream (SPF 30 or higher)
- Camera and binoculars (optional)
- half fare travelcard (if existing)
- Thermos flask made from break-proof material
- headlamp with new batteries
- Small medicinal supplies for personal requirements
Our team is available by phone from Monday to Friday from 09.00 to 12.00 and from 14.00 to 17.00.