Rock, snow and ice – ready to discover the world of mountaineering? We give you a basic set of skills for alpine climbing and glacier navigation. After completing the course, you’ll be full of confidence on future expeditions.
Furka Pass is the ideal spot for this course, with its pristine granite and gorgeous glacier, which offer plenty of opportunities to start building a solid set of mountaineering skills.
We teach you the basics in the climbing park and out on the glacier, after which you can then apply what you have learned on training excursions:
- Knot-tying, rope and anchoring techniques on rock and ice
- Setting up belay stations and anchor points
- Climbing in alpine boots
- Navigation with map and compass
- Identifying and assessing alpine hazards
- Impromptu rescue techniques
- Materials and equipment
After you have completed this course, you’ll be able to take part in guided high-altitude expeditions of easy to moderate difficulty, such as the Alphubel (4206 m) and the coveted destination of the Monte Rosa massif, and also participate in the planning of expeditions.
Sure-footedness and experience of mountain hiking required; Terrain: moderately steep, rock and ice; Alpine technique: no prior knowledge of alpine technique required
Duration from 4 to 6 hours, up to approx.1,000 vertical meters, approx. 250 vertical meters per hour.
3-6 participants per mountain guide
9:00 a.m. Hotel Tiefenbach Furkapass (bus arrival 8:57 a.m. Realp, Tiefenbach)
Approx. 4 p.m. from point of departure
Hotel Tiefenbach Furkapass, 6491 Realp
Technical material (ropes etc.) is provided by the Zermatters Alpine School.
The offer is held in German. Therefore, a basic understanding of German is important. Our mountain guides have a basic knowledge of English and can provide the necessary information in English. Often there are helpful guests on the tours and courses who are happy to help with the translation.
Find out more about the right equipment here.
- Guiding and supervision by a mountain guide
- Accommodation with half board: 2x hotel (standard multi-bed room)
- Renting equipment
- Swiss topographic map of Urseren 1231 (worth CHF 14)
- 15% discount on mammut.com
- Travel to the course
- Snacks and drinks
- Contribution to the Travel Guarantee Fund (0.25% on total amount)
Day 1The participants meet up with the guide, collect their rented gear and are briefed on the course schedule for the coming days. Then it’s off to the Furka Pass area, where you will begin learning the skills you need to climb rock and ice. The guide will adjust the plans each day depending on the conditions.
Day 2-3After acquiring a fundamental understanding of rock and ice, you’ll be ready to take day trips around the region, adding depth to what you will be learning during the course. Possible itineraries: Chli Bielenhorn (2940 m), Kleine Furkahorn (3029 m) or the Gross Muttenhorn (3099 m).
Our mountain guide will bring the ordered rental equipment to the meeting place. The following equipment can be rented.
Please note that the backpack with the equipment does not weigh more than 8 to 10 kg (crampons, ice axe, harness weigh about 1.5 kg).
- Climbing harness with 1x safelock carabiner
- Ice axe
- Crampons with ABS
- Climbing harness with 1x safelock carabiner (or 2x screw carabiners)
- Ice axe
- Crampons with ABS
- Backpack approx. 30l with rain cover
- Gaiter (optional)
- 1x Hardshell jacket and pants (wind- and waterproof)
- 1x Mountaineering or trekking pants
- 1x Soft shell and/or fleece jacket
- 1x Down jacket
- 1x Short/long functional underwear
- 1x Cap/headband and 1x hat
- 2 pairs of gloves (1 thin pair, 1 warm, windproof and waterproof pair)
- 1x Functional socks and 1x spare socks
- Hiking shoes or mountaineering shoes (at least ankle-high, hard sole)
- Clothes and shoes for the evening (for wearing in the accommodation and in the village)
- Own toiletries, ear plugs if required
- Breakfast and dinner at the hotel
- You need to bring your own hot drinks and lunch or you can be bought in the hotel
- Snacks (e.g. energy bars, dried fruit, dried meat)
- Sun cream and lip cream (SPF 30 or higher)
- Camera (optional)
- Half fare travelcard (if existing)
- Thermos flask made from break-proof material
- Small medicinal supplies for personal requirements